Financial support and compensation

Disability and bereavement support

You may be entitled to financial support if you are injured or unable to work as a result of being involved in the attack and financial help if you become disabled.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) provides advice about a range of payments and benefits relating to bereavement and information about Carers and Disability Benefits.

Victim Support can also provide ongoing emotional support and assistance with applying for disability and bereavement support through the DWP.  Visit the Victim Support website to request support.

Criminal Injuries Compensation
Under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme 2012, injured victims, or the families of those killed can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA),

If you have been bereaved or suffered a personal injury as a result of the incident call the CICA helpline on 0300 003 3601 for more information.

You may be able to get free independent advice from local support services or other charitable organisations to apply to CICA for compensation. You do not need a paid representative, such as a solicitor or claims management company,

The CICA’s compensation Guide provides more information

Pro bono legal advice
A number of Manchester firms are offering their services for free to victims of the Manchester terror attack. Manchester Law Society is co-ordinating pro bono advice and free representation service to bereaved families to assist with criminal injury claims and inquests.

They can also give legal advice on the following areas.

  • administration of estates
  • property ownership/mortgage
  • insurance
  • welfare benefits
  • family/child custody
  • death in service/pension
  • financial obligations
  • debt

If you would like to speak with a lawyer free of charge, complete the Manchester law society legal advice form on their website. All enquiries are treated with the strictest confidence.

If you are cannot access the online form or require assistance in completing your form you can contact one of the following organisations who can assist by completing your application online for you

  • The BPP Manchester Legal Advice Clinic on 0161 244 6500
  • The Personal Support Unit at Manchester Civil Justice Centre on 0161 240 5037

Victim Support
Victim Support can provide assistance with compensation claims from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). You can find more information on the Victim Support website.

Manchester Support